What a busy week this has been. Time is flying by faster every day and Christmas will be here before I know it!
In coming to Yazoo City, a small town, we knew what we were getting into. We loved Louisville, Mountain Home was like a small town, so some of the events of this week were exactly what we wanted and exactly what we enjoyed.
Last night was the town Christmas Parade, and it was COLD out! I mentioned that I was cold (I do NOT like to be cold) and several people laughed and said that coming from Idaho I wasn't allowed to say that. But it WAS cold!
85% of the town, or so it seemed, had gathered on Main Street. The other 15% of the population were IN the parade. Clowns on small motorbikes throwing candy, Little Miss Catfish 2008 - throwing candy, the Mayor - throwing candy, fire trucks, police cars, floats, all with people throwing candy. My kids are always happy when people throw candy at them. The school bands marched by, girl scouts, church groups, civic groups, and horses.
We had a lot of fun watching and visiting. We met on the lawn at the church manse along with a lot of other church families and talked while keeping an eye on our kids, who were chasing candy being thrown at them.
Not a great setting for pictures, so here are a few crazy exposured ones.
For two weeks now we have been watching a house in the neighborhood put up their decorations. The picture below only shows about a third of the lights and things. We have wondered if they do this every year. Kaebrie LOVES it. Yesterday when we drove home after the parade, we noticed a new sign in the yard, dedicating the decorations in memory to someone. That is kind of sweet. I can just imagine someone who loved Christmas decoration so much, that in their honor, every last decoration you ever owned was put out at the same time to honor them. I like it.
Tonight, we just got back from the Kids Christmas Caroling Hay Ride. That was a lot of fun too. We all met at the church, loaded up a bunch of kids, and off we went! Tiffer had the best and most comfortable seat. Do you see him?
We went to the home of several elderly shut-ins. The smiles on their faces brought tears to my eyes. I don't think any of the kids or youth there could really grasp what it meant to these ladies. I don't even know if I can grasp it all.
It got chillier as the night went on, but thankfully it was nowhere near as cold as it was last night.
Here is Collin with a few of his new buddies, Andrew and Reed.
And Livie and Kaitlynn
Then it was back to the church for hot digs, chili, chips and brownies. A great way to end an evening!
I did have a few moments of homesickness. I was remembering caroling last year with some families from the chapel. It was cold, but clear and crisp out, and no wind, which was a rarity. What I remember was our boots crunching through the snow as we walked. The sound and the feel of it made it feel like Christmas.
I missed the snow tonight.
Tomorrow night I am going out with the WIC (Women in the church). They have adopted a family and are going to go and decorate this families first Christmas tree and bring presents and a meal. That will be a touching night. Friday night we are having our first dinner guests. This weekend is Sam's first guard duty. It is official. As of yesterday he was released from active duty and he was sworn in at his new unit in Jackson.
I guess that is about it for tonight! More later when more happens! Nite Nite!
No comments:
Post a Comment